Pages

14 February 2014

Donkey Race

Jamaica day 9!
Returned to Peevee's for breakfast since we'd been told it was pretty good and very affordable. And it was, but it took forever to get it. We pretty much ordered some fried eggs and it took an hour to get them, even though we were almost the only ones there. If it weren't for the guy working in the bar where we were sitting we probably would have been very annoyed. He was amazing. So full of life and happy go lucky, telling us stories, making us try his juices and got us coconuts. We had a blast and walked out of there smiling (a long time after getting there). After breakfast we headed back to the beach for todays annual Donkey Race. The whole festival ground was filled with people, stands for food and souvenirs, there was carousels run by manpower and music and shouting and sheering. The racing might have been one of the strangest things I have seen, and hilarious. The only thing that disturbed me was that some of the riders beat their Donkeys to make them move - a few of them threw there riders off though, and I did enjoy that. There were three Donkeys racing each other each time. Some of them run like the wind, some of them barely moved, some pretty much walked the wrong direction. The guy who gave us the flyer a few days back got me interested when he spoke of just that. "Ya man when the race starts one donkey go backwards one doesn't move good fun man." - ok, you've got me. We didn't stay long though, the sun was blazing and we were all melting, so we went for a walk on the beach and cooled off in the water. After the race we went back to the hotel and me and Valle went snorkelling. Saw two lion fish (gorgeous!) and a ray - which scared the crap out of me. I was swimming around, minding my own bniz, looking at the little fishies and then turned to my left to check if Valle was keeping up - and there he was at the same level as me, just by the surface. Awesome.






No comments:

Post a Comment